Throughout much of history, celery and celery seed has been used primarily as a homeopathic and medicinal herbs. Not until relatively recent history has celery been used for culinary purposes. The flavor of celery is somewhat herbal and astringent, but it has a succulent, crisp texture. Because of its low-calorie count, celery is a favorite diet food.
Celery Seed Benefits:
Celery seeds are mainly used in connection with rheumatism, arthritis, and gout. They are especially useful in rheumatoid arthritis where there is an associated mental depression.
Additional benefits of celery seed include the following: Lowers Blood Pressure and Cholesterol
- in one study, at the University of Chicago, lab animals who were given a daily dose of a compound extracted from celery seed experienced a 12 percent reduction in their blood pressure over a four-week period. The same study indicated it may reduce artery-clogging cholesterol. A traditional Vietnamese remedy for high blood pressure.Healthy Joints
- celery has been used and suggested as an alternative therapy for arthritis, rheumatism, and gout. Celery seed is most often taken to aid in the maintenance of healthy joints. Celery seeds have been found to have anti-inflammatory properties that reduce swelling and pain around the joints. It is suitable for anyone who wishes to reduce the degeneration of body joints that commonly occurs with age. Celery seed can also ease joint discomfort that occurs due to inflammation and is, in fact, used for the relief of symptoms of conditions such as arthritis.Antiseptic Properties
- celery seed has an antiseptic property that makes it useful to the health of the urinary tract and a diuretic property to help relieve fluid retention. Celery seed aids in the elimination of uric acid. These properties can prove useful in cases of bladder disorders, cystitis, and kidney disorders. Celery seed helps with urinary tract infection in women.Acts as A Diuretic
- the herb contains a diuretic substance that also benefits arthritis and gout patients, as it helps to flush away the uric acid crystals that build up around the joints. Celery helps shed water weight. Menstrual Discomfort
- celery may promote the onset of menstruation. Anxiety
- celery seed can help soothe the nerves and relieve pain. Aids Digestion
- Consuming celery seed in food also aids in the digestion of protein. Anti-Cancer Agents
- contains eight different families of anti-cancer compounds, such as phthalides and polyacetylenes, that detoxify carcinogens, present in high concentrations in cigarette smoke. Nutritional Content of Celery -
Celery contains the following natural nutrients:
Essential fatty acids