Are Germs Good for Kids?
What to do to ?
Are germs ever good for kids? Well, maybe
Your baby drops a their pacifier on the floor. Does the 5-second rule apply?
Exposing babies and young children to different kinds of germs early in life can keep them from developing illnesses like asthma, allergies, and other diseases that affect the immune system. The hygiene hypothesis suggests that a newborn baby’s immune system must be educated to fight germs infancy to be effective throughout the rest of life.
How do you shelter kids from too many germs yet expose them to enough?
Don’t use antibacterial soaps and cleansers. FDA is skeptical they recently delisted several as effective because antibacterial soap makers couldn’t prove they work. Plus there is concern over the safety of the ingredients..
A quick wash of fallen pacifier with a little soap and water should do the trick.
Limit use of Antibiotics, certainly take your child to the doctor when they are sick but don’ expect that antibiotics are the solution, many illnesses are caused by viruses and the antibiotic won’t work. doctors are getting more selective in antibiotic use.
Things you can do to fight infections
- Use separate cutting boards and utensils for produce and for raw meat, poultry, and seafood.
- Wash countertops, utensils, and cutting boards in hot, soapy water.
- Use a food thermometer. Cook whole meats to 145 F, ground meats to 160 F, and chicken and turkey to 165 F.
- Don’t leave out food for more than 2 hours. Keep it to less than 1 hour when it is warm outside.
- Disinfect kitchen counters before and after preparing food. Use paper towels or sanitizing wipes.
- Disinfect bathroom surfaces often — especially if someone in the house is sick.
- Wash your hands often, including before and after preparing food, after going to the bathroom or handling diapers, after handling pets, and whenever they look dirty.
Ms. Jensen is a leading advocate for families and children and was the founder and president of ACES, The Association for Children for Enforcement of Support.
Latest posts by Geraldine Jensen (see all)
- 24 Delicious Summer Salad Dinner Ideas – - July 14, 2017
- Do you know someone who was born in 2012 heading to kindergarten? - July 13, 2017
- Summer Appetizers - July 13, 2017