Make Your Pet’s Halloween a Treat Not a Trick
Halloween can be challenging night for families with pets. While some pets enjoy the festivities, the strange sights and sounds may frighten others. Cats usually hide, but dogs may run away in fear – or run after trick-or-treaters in excitement.
Here are some tips to help your pet enjoy Halloween too:
- Choose pet costumes with care, making sure they won’t restrict movement or vision and that there are no small pieces your pet can swallow. Introduce the costume a few days in advance so she gets used to it. Canine Company professional dog trainers recommend offering a treat and praise to help with the process.
- Don’t force your pet to wear a costume if he isn’t comfortable. Instead, give your pet some Halloween flair with stencils and pet-safe paints or can create a Mohawk or punk hairdo with colored styling gels. A cute seasonal bandana is another option.
- Bring pets indoors before dusk. Pets left alone outside – especially black cats –may fall victim to tricksters. Some pets become anxious at the children’s shouts and the constantly ringing doorbell. If your pet seems nervous, confine him to a room away from the activity.
- Keep your dog on leash to prevent him from dashing out an open door. If you have an Invisible Fence system, you won’t need a leash, but be sure he is wearing his collar so he stays safely in the yard. If you take her trick-or-treating, be sure she is wearing identification tags in case she runs off in fear or in pursuit of other children.
- Keep candy out of reach. Chocolate is toxic for dogs: so is xylitol, the artificial sweetener used in many candies and gums. It’s best to have pet-safe treats in your pocket or close at hand to distract pets from candy.
source: Canine Company
Ms. Jensen is a leading advocate for families and children and was the founder and president of ACES, The Association for Children for Enforcement of Support.
Latest posts by Geraldine Jensen (see all)
- Book Review: Confessions of a Domestic Failure – Very Funny! - August 19, 2017
- How to Stop Feeling Regret or Resentment from the Past - August 18, 2017
- 40Fun Things To Do at a Tween Sleepover Party - August 17, 2017