Maternity Clothing for Frugal Fashionistas
Thankfully, maternity clothing has come a long way. But the problem is that maternity clothing can be really expensive! When you’re only going to wear it for a few months, it can be tricky to justify. Here are some ideas for great clothing and for you to save some money while maximising your pregnancy wardrobe.
Leggings and Tights
Buying larger leggings and tights to wear under maternity tops can be an alternative to maternity pants with the ugly expanse of stretchy fabric in the front. Many leggings and footless tights look great under a long tunic and you can buy plus size clothing when it’s on sale or at a reasonable price. These can also make great transition piece for before you’re really into maternity clothes and for after the baby is born when you’re working at transitioning back into your regular clothing, too.
Invest in a Few Basics
You can buy some basics and accessorise them. Spend money on some decent maternity jeans and dress pants and buy things that will be easily mixed and matched. You can often get away with non-maternity tops. Your husband’s dress shirts can look great with a sports bra or tank top underneath (no one will see it ride up your belly!), for instance.
You don’t have to wear gigantic tent clothing throughout your pregnancy. Today’s trend leans more toward showing off your bump with more fitted clothing. You can often wear a bigger top that’s longer that hugs your belly. Before you run out and buy all new clothes, have a look through your wardrobe. Chances are that some of your clothes will last most of, if not all of, your pregnancy.
There are some other maternity fashion tips:
- Maternity underwear. They’re big and huge and make your former granny panties look almost sexy! Buying larger underwear might suffice but just make sure it’s not cutting off your circulation. In all honesty, as the months wear on, you might welcome a pair of maternity underwear when you realise how much more comfy they are than your usual underpants.
- Maternity tights. You can spend a fortune buying tights and stockings from a maternity store or you could go with plus size tights and save money. Some companies offer great fashions that can help you give your maternity wardrobe a lift without costing you a fortune.
- Borrow. Got a girlfriend or sister who recently had a baby? Don’t hesitate to turn down offers of maternity clothing. Some women spend hundreds on their maternity clothing and it’s like new when they give it to you.
- Charity Shops and Classified Ads. Have a look for some gently used maternity clothing. You might be surprised at the deals you can find.
- Shop the sales. There are outlet shops and online sales on maternity fashions that can save you a lot of dosh!
About the author:
Sharon Hurley Hall writes for Pamela Mann where you will find a great selection of stockings, tights, and leggings in a wide range of sizes.