How can I stay healthy as I age and go through menopause?
There are a lot of ways to stay healthy during this time in your life. These steps are more likely to keep you healthy than just taking hormones:
- Be active and get more exercise. Try to get at least 30 minutes on most days of the week. Try weight-bearing exercises, like walking, running, or dancing.
- If you smoke, quit. Ask your doctor for help. You also can visit this special section of the NWHIC web site: www.4woman.gov/QuitSmoking
- Eat healthy.
- Eat lots of whole grain products, vegetables, and fruits.
- Choose foods low in fat and cholesterol.
- Get enough calcium to keep your bones strong. Before menopause, you need about 1,000 mg of calcium per day. After menopause, you need 1,500 mg per day.
- If you drink alcohol, limit it to no more than one drink per day.
- Control your weight. Ask your doctor what a healthy weight is for you.
- Talk with your doctor and get regular check-ups:
- Discuss bone health. Ask if you are getting enough calcium and vitamin D. Get a bone density test if you’re over 65, or if your doctor says you have a high chance of getting osteoporosis. Ask about taking medicine to help preserve bone and slow down bone loss.
- Have your blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar checked.
- Have a breast exam and a breast x-ray (mammogram).
For More Information….
For more information on menopause and hormones, call the National Women’s Health Information Center at 1-800-994-9662 or contact the following organizations:
National Institute on Aging (NIA), NIH, HHS
Phone: (800) 222-2225
Internet Address: http://www.nih.gov/nia
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Phone: (888) 463-6332
Internet Address: www.fda.gov/womens/menopause
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)
Phone: (202) 638-5577
Internet Address: http://www.acog.org
American Menopause Foundation (AMF)
Phone: (212) 714-2398
Internet Address: http://www.americanmenopause.org
North American Menopause Society (NAMS)
Phone: (440) 442-7550
Internet Address: http://www.menopause.org
The Hormone Foundation
Phone: (800) 467-6663
Internet Address: http://www.hormone.org
Menopause Hormone Treatment
Vitamins & Minerals for Menopause and PMS