Couscous Salad with Dried Cherries
Nice Summer side dish – Great for Summer parties as a “Dish to Pass”.
1 cup water or chicken broth
3/4 cup quick-cooking couscous, uncooked
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped unpeeled cucumber
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds (optional) 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Bring water or broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in couscous. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Uncover; let cool 10 minutes.
2. Put cooked couscous, dried cherries, carrots, cucumber, green onions and pine nuts in a large bowl; mix well. Combine vinegar, olive oil and mustard in a small container; mix well. Pour over couscous mixture; stir to coat all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Makes 4 cups; about 6 servings.
Latest posts by Helene Rodriques (see all)
- Best Thanksgiving Recipes for Special Diets – Vegan, Gluten-free, Vegetarian and Lactose-Free - October 27, 2018
- Celebrating a “Green” Thanksgiving - October 26, 2018
- Great Dessert Recipes for Thanksgiving - October 25, 2018