Diaper Rash Prevention and Treatment 101
By Greta Jenkins
Babies” age 4 months to 15 months are likely to experience a diaper rash. So even the most attentive parent can be faced with their little bundle of joy having a diaper rash.
- Frequent diaper changes especially if the baby is having frequent stools
- Wash baby’s bum when you change diaper using a mild soap or moist wipe
- Try to avoid taking antibiotics if you are breast feeding
- When adding solid foods or juices that might be acidic, make sure you use a diaper rash prevention ointment. Natural ingredient diaper rash creams are recommended.
- If your baby is not drinking well, ammonia can build up in the urine and cause a rash so, encourage adequate hydration
- Avoid diapers that are too tight; is it time to advance to the next diaper size?
- Use gentle, natural soap to cleanse baby’s bottom and body to avoid a skin irritation
- Keep the diaper area clean and dry
- The more time the baby bum is exposed to the air, the better
- Gently wash with a soft cloth the diaper rash area, you may want to use a squeeze bottle of water on the affected area to clean it well without causing the baby pain. Do this with every diaper change.
- Pat the area dry or allow air-drying.
- Apply diaper rash ointment to protect the area from further irritation
When to seek medical help:
- The rash continues to worsen, or does not go away in 2 – 3 days.
- Rash spreads to the tummy, back, arms, or face.
- You notice pimples, blisters, ulcers, large bumps, or pus-filled sores.
- Your baby also has a fever.
- Your baby develops a rash before age 7 weeks.
Most diaper rashes are easily treated and preventing them becomes just part of a baby care routine including moisturizing cream to protect and sooth baby’s delicate skin, and baby wash and shampoo which is gentle on the eyes. Don’t forget Mom’s skin care and vitamin needs too!
Latest posts by Greta Jenkins (see all)
- Family Fun: Celebrate National Women’s History Month - March 3, 2019
- The Dragon’s Treasure - March 1, 2019
- Children’s Book Review: Moonlight Puppies - February 2, 2019