Gift Ideas for Grandpa
Gift Ideas for Grandpa
Giving gifts for friends and families can always be difficult, but choosing the right gifts for your grandparents can especially be a challenge. What do you get for people who probably have all they need, and are more used to spoiling you and your family than getting spoiled themselves? Well, though it may seem difficult, getting gifts for grandparents isn’t nearly as tough as it may seem. If you’re scratching your head this holiday season, here are a few categories to focus on when deciding on gifts.
One of the easiest ways to get a welcome gift for a grandparent – or any loved one – is to find a gift that they can use during everyday life. Gifts that make life easier or safer will always be welcome with your older relatives, but it’s important to deliver them delicately if you think they may offend your grandparents.
- GPS – Navigation systems have been around for a while now, so your grandparents should be aware of them and comfortable in their utility at this point. Many older folks may have a hard time behind the wheel, and GPS systems can be very helpful in getting them to their destination safely.
- Medical alert jewelry – It can be difficult to get a loved one to wear a medical alert ID, but luckily there are many ways you can mask that alert. I found my grandmother a stylish medical ID bracelet from Hope Paige, and added individual charms for everyone in the family, giving her a reason to wear it beyond just safety.
- Kindle or tablet – There are many tablet options available, with new computers being introduced almost daily. The most simple and useful of these will probably be e-readers, like Amazon’s Kindle. They have come down drastically in price and can be great for active seniors.
- Fitness gear – When most people buy gifts to help grandparents get in shape, they give a new pair of shoes. However, there are plenty of high tech fitness products out there. Look for pedometers or workout programs like Nike+ to help encourage your grandparents to stay active and fit.
- Digital photo frames make excellent gifts, especially for if your grandparents live away from the family. It’s easy to fill up a frame with pictures of the entire family, and even easier to send a flash drive with new photos throughout the year to keep them up to date on family events.
- One of the best gifts I got for my grandfather was a Nintendo DS, the newest version of the Gameboy. The system has a lot of games that include exercises designed to keep the mind sharp, including Sudoku puzzles, math games and more.
- Wine sets or whiskey decanters make great gifts that you can use whenever you visit the family, so don’t be afraid to indulge some of your grandparents’ vices when gift-giving.
Out of the Ordinary Gifts
If you’re looking to go a bit overboard with your gifts to give your grandparents something to really remember, just play to their interests and loves. Most importantly, remember that you and your family are probably among their biggest loves.
- Travel is always a fun gift, and it can be great for grandparents. Buy them a plane ticket to visit you for Christmas. Or take advantage of low rates and book a cruise with you and one or both of your grandparents.
- Do your grandparents love golf? Buy them a tee time at a local course or go all out and book a weekend at a famous golf resort.Mike Cushing is a writer for The Serious Teddy Bear Co., which offers a wide variety of themed teddy bear gift baskets and corporate gifts.
- For those who were teens and young adults in the 1950’s and 1960’s – Classic rock!
Latest posts by Jeanette LaPorte (see all)
- Make a Snowman Puppet – Wintertime Art and Crafts - January 3, 2018
- Christmas Crafts for Kids – Happy Holiday Handprint Wreath- Christmas Arts and Crafts - December 12, 2017
- Make a Santa Puppet – Kids Arts and Crafts - December 4, 2017