How to Succeed in College
A Gallup Poll of hundreds of thousands of students and alumni found that grads who hit the marks on these double their odds of being engaged at work and having thriving well-being later in life:
- As best you can, pick professors, not courses. Seek professors who have reputations for being amazing teachers and mentors.
- Invest in a mentor. This goes both ways — someone who agrees to or offers to mentor you, as well as someone you feel is worth the investment of your time.
- Find a job or internship where you can apply what you’re learning, or work to connect what you’re learning to your current job.
- Take at least a couple of courses that involve long-term projects requiring a semester or more of work to complete.
- Don’t try to “pad your resume” with a long list of extracurricular activities; get deeply, lastingly engaged in at least one.
Postsecondary education is a powerful pathway to a great job and a great life — but only if you make the most of it. Spread this advice to everyone you know. After all, it comes from the wisdom of hundreds of thousands of students and alumni.
"I believe that families' involvement in their child's education is one of the key ingredients to creating a successful school experience for children. Keeping parents informed about school-related issues helps parents and teachers work together for the best possible outcomes for their children. Learning together makes learning fun - for everyone!" - Jennifer Cummings.
Her publications: Tips from the Teacher provides useful hints and "tricks of the trade" that you can use at home to boost your child's academic progress year after year. And Homelinks Teacher Tools for Communicating with Parents New Skills Strategies, Newsletters and Home Communication Tools for Teachers(grades 2-8)
More Child Education Resources:
US Dept. of Education
Latest posts by Jennifer Cummings (see all)
- 30 Days Before School — School Readiness Kindergarten to High School Check List - July 14, 2018
- 12 Days ofFun and Easy Summer Activities for Children - July 2, 2018
- 50 Things To Do To Get Ready for School - July 1, 2018