Expert Interior Decorating and Design Tips
Leading interior decorating and design consultant Davis Remignanti offers these approaches to avoid when tackling interior decorating projects:
- The Big Bang. don't expect to go from blank canvas to finished interior in one fell swoop. Interesting interiors are created in layers, over time. don't try to get it all at once.
- Wing and a Prayer. don't start without a plan. Survey your resources - your current furnishings, your work schedule, your budget. Then make a list of needs, wants, and things you'd love your interior decorating design to include "down the road." Reconcile accordingly.
- Ebenezer Scrooge. There are times when it's better to splurge than to economize. Shop carefully for the right balance of price and quality. A "bargain sofa loses its charm when its seams split and arms start to wobble. No interior decorating charm in that!
- My Way or the Highway. Be open-minded about new ideas - sometimes a fresh approach is best. Try re-arranging your furniture to jump start an interior design update. Use Furniture.com's free online Room Planner (a href="http://www.furniture.com/roomplanner">www.furniture.com/roomplanner) to help lay out your room.
- Making Do. That "perfectly good hand-me-down dining room probably isn't winning any points for good interior design. Just because someone offers you something, you don't have to accept. Second-hand can be wonderful and inspiring, as long it fits with your "look.
- More is Better. Mix, as well as match, your furnishings to add variety and increase your interior decorating and design options. Use accent pieces to introduce new colors, textures and shapes to prevent your room from becoming monotonous.
- Doubting Thomas. don't trust your own judgment? Do research, clip photos from magazines, watch design shows, and ask your friends. Start small, build your confidence and learn from mistakes. The best interior designers did the same.
Interior Decorating with Color - Choosing Paint Colors
Top 10 Tips to Brighten Up the Home this Spring
Interior Decorating Trends 2007