Sweet & Savory Summer Dish: Chicken Kabobs with Honey-Poppy Seed Glaze
Summertime is perfect for gathering family and friends to enjoy grilling some delicious food. The grill can be intimidating for some, but with simple grilling tips and the right recipe, you can make a crowd favorite in just an hour. There are no rules forcing you to stick to hot dogs and burgers. Instead, mix things up with a flavorful combination of chicken and vegetables. Top it off with a honey-poppy seed glaze that will add just enough sweet to your savory dish. To grill these kabobs to perfection, follow the cooking tips below and listen to guests sing your praises!
Chicken Kabobs with Honey-Poppy Seed Glaze
- 8 wooden skewers (skewer = 10″)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- No-stick grilling spray
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 8 whole fresh mushrooms
Soak wooden skewers in water 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine honey, vinegar and mustard in medium bowl. Remove 3/4 cup of the honey mixture; place in small saucepan; set aside. Add chicken to remaining honey mixture; toss to coat. Cover. Refrigerate 30 minutes to marinate, stirring occasionally.
Add cornstarch and water to 3/4 cup honey mixture in saucepan; mix well. Cook over medium heat 8 minutes, or until thickened and translucent, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in poppy seed; set aside.
Spray grate of outdoor grill with grilling spray. Position grill rack 4 to 6 inches from heat source. Preheat grill to medium heat. Drain chicken; discard marinade. Thread chicken, accordion-style, onto skewers, include at least 3 pieces of either red and green bell pepper, squash, onion or mushroom.
Grill 3 minutes on each side, or until chicken strips are no longer pink in centers, brushing frequently with the honey poppy seed mixture.
Latest posts by Families Online Magazine (see all)
- Happy Father’s Day Homemade Gifts, Poems and Quotes - May 13, 2018
- Auntie’s Chorizo and Sweet Potato Enchiladas - May 3, 2018
- Happy Mother’s Day Poems and Crafts - April 25, 2018