Kids Eye Safety Tips
Ophthalmologists – physicians who specialize in medical and surgical eye care recommend the following eye safety tips for Kids.
- Beware of airsoft, BB guns, and other projectile toys. Every year ophthalmologists treat thousands of patients with devastating eye injuries caused by seemingly safe toys. Avoid items with sharp, protruding or projectile parts such as airsoft guns, BB guns and other nonpowder gun–related toys. Foreign objects can easily propel into the sensitive tissue of the eye.
- Never allow children to play with high-powered laser pointers. A number of recent reports in the United States and internationally show that children have sustained serious eye injuries by playing with high-powered lasers (between 1500 and 6000 milliwatts). Over the years, these lasers have become increasingly more powerful, with enough potential to cause severe retinal damage, with just seconds of laser exposure to the eye. The FDA advises the public to never aim or shine a laser pointer at anyone and to not buy laser pointers for children.
- Read labels for age recommendations before you buy. To select appropriate gifts suited for a child’s age, look for and follow the age recommendations and instructions about proper assembly, use, and supervision.
- Don’t just give presents. Make sure to be present. Always make sure an adult is supervising when children are playing with potentially hazardous toys or games that could cause an eye injury.
- Know what to do (and what not to). If someone you know experiences an eye injury, seek immediate medical attention from an ophthalmologist. As you wait for medical help, make sure to never to touch, rub, apply pressure, or try to remove any object stuck in the eye. If an eye injury occurs follow these important care and treatment guidelines.
https://www.familiesonlinemagazine.com/kids-eye-safety-tips/https://www.familiesonlinemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/kids-Carl_c.jpghttps://www.familiesonlinemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/kids-Carl_c-150x150.jpgChild SafetyActivities for Kids,Ages and Stages,Family Safety Tips,ParentingOphthalmologists – physicians who specialize in medical and surgical eye care recommend the following eye safety tips for Kids.Beware of airsoft, BB guns, and other projectile toys. Every year ophthalmologists treat thousands of patients with devastating eye injuries caused by seemingly safe toys. Avoid items with sharp, protruding...Greta JenkinsGreta Jenkins[email protected]AuthorGreta Jenkins has been writing for Families Online Magazine since 2004. She is a mom, nurse and community volunteer.Families Online Magazine
Greta Jenkins has been writing for Families Online Magazine since 2004. She is a mom, nurse andcommunity volunteer.
Latest posts by Greta Jenkins (see all)
- Stress Free Graduation Parties and More - May 7, 2018
- 6 Spring Gardening Tips to Keep Your Organic Garden Green All Summer Long - March 20, 2018
- 61 Fun Things To Do with Friends in the Autumn - September 25, 2017