Home Decorating: New Kitchen Countertops Without the High Cost by Sonya Weiss
New Kitchen Countertops Without the High Cost
by Sonya Weiss
If you have the money to put in brand new kitchen counters, great! But, in light of today’s economy, many people don’t have that option. So what to do when your counters need to be redone and you don’t have a few thousand lying around to do it with?
There are many ways to make a kitchen look brand new without spending a lot of money.
Did you know you can paint almost anything including counters?
Painting kitchen counters is one way to get a brand new, polished look. There are a few important steps to keep in mind before you attempt a project like this one.
First, keep in mind, that in this case, the quality of the paint does matter. There are still minute traces of lead in some paints and you don’t want to use those on your counter. There is a special coating that’s safe to use for countertops. Make sure you do your homework first when selecting the paint.
- Once you’ve selected your paint, lightly sand the countertop.
- You need to rough it up on purpose using 120 grit sandpaper.
- Once you sanded and cleaned away all the dust from the sanding, fill any chips or gouges in the counter with a filler safe for use on counters.
- Once the filler dries, lightly sand the areas where you applied it.
- Next, apply primer, wait for it to completely dry,
- apply a coat of the countertop paint,
- wait for it to completely dry and apply polyurethane.
You may use anywhere from two coats of polyurethane to four or more to get the desired finish. Once you have the polyurethane on, you must wait for it dry completely before using the counter.
Home Decorating Resources:
Hiring an Interior Designer
From the time she was a child, Sonya spun stories to entertain herself and her siblings. Once she graduated from high school, she put her writing aside and attended college where she studied Secondary Education, majoring in English. She's represented by literary agent Nicole Resciniti.
Sonya's website can be found at https://sonyaweiss.com/