New Book for Boys – Explains Puberty
With boys facing many of the same questions and concerns about their changing bodies as girls do, American Girl—a decades-long leader in helping millions of girls navigate through adolescence—is, for the first time, extending similar advice to boys and their parents with Guy Stuff: The Body Book for Boys.
Using a down-to-earth tone and illustrations that deliver just the right balance of facts and humor, Guy Stuff helps boys ages 8 and up prepare for the changes their bodies will go through as they grow and develop. Topics cover everything from hair care to healthy eating, bad breath to shaving, acne to voice cracking, pubic changes to moodiness, peer pressure to bullying, and everything in between.
” It’s time we change the social norms and start including boys in discussions about puberty, health, and wellness, beyond what may or may not be taught in the classroom once or twice a year,” says Natterson, New York Times bestselling author and mom of a 14-year-old girl and a 12-year-old boy
Guy Stuff addresses boys directly with age-appropriate and practical information that answers their questions about how their bodies work, what will change through puberty, handling new emotions and feelings (and that it’s okay to express them!), and how to adopt healthy living strategies for a lifetime. And just like its girl counterpart, Guy Stuff empowers boys to take control over their health, while also encouraging open conversation with parents and other trusted adults about questions or worries they may have.
Guy Stuff, priced at $12.99, is a head-to-toe guide, covering a wide range of physical and emotional topics, including:
- Body Basics: Breaks down basic facts about boys’ bodies and explains the common changes of puberty (“You Will: Grow taller, sprout hair, sweat more, develop muscles, see changes in skin and hair texture, get a deeper voice, see changes to private parts, and experience new emotions.”) and discusses the importance of establishing healthy habits and having a good attitude.
- Heads Up: This chapter covers everything boys need to know to keep their heads and face in tip-top shape, including hair care, acne, sun protection, and oral hygiene.
- Reach: Explains the essentials of nail care and maintaining healthy hands, underarm hair and controlling body odor, plus breaks down the changes boys’ chests will undergo.
- Belly Zone: Acknowledges that bodies come in different shapes and sizes, and shares detailed information on healthy hydration, food, nutrition, and essential vitamins and minerals.
- Big Changes: Tackles changing hormones, private parts (including erections), moods, and voice.
- Get Going: Covers legs, height and growing pains, feet, fitness and exercise, sport safety, the importance of good sleep, and even bed-wetting.
- Your Inner You: This section delves into new feelings and emotions boys may be experiencing during puberty, including topics on peer pressure and bullying, plus letting guys know that it’s not only okay but healthy, to express their emotions.
Guy Stuff is available nationwide through retail and online booksellers.