Picky Eater’s Love These Snacks – Teens too!
Whether it’s grade school, high school or college, food choices come into play for our kids. Parents are short on time, and often short on money, so it’s important to know easy, healthy snacks and meals that parents and even kids can prepare.
The greatest way to impact your child and teach them healthy eating habits is to lead by example and discuss challenges, cravings, falling off the wagon and celebrating wins together will support healthy eating as a genuine part of their life.
Here are some healthy snacks and lunches that are inexpensive and simple to pull together for busy families:
Snacks for young kids:
Natural nut butter w/ apples & celery
Snacks for teens:
Baked Oatmeal Squares*
Snacks for young athletes:
Cottage cheese and pineapple
Hummus and Zesty Pita Chips*
INFO BITES – LUNCH FOR TEENS:
You have choices too. You can send lunch with your children, or teach them how to choose wisely at the school with these tips:
- Brown bag having a full delicious lunch and snacks in a cooler bag is the ideal scenario, but it needs to be a fun and tasty experience so your child actually eats it. Talk with your child about what they like and don’t like, and work together to make healthy choices that won’t end up traded or in the trash.
- Cafeteria ask if you can see to the weekly menu so you can go over all the choices with your child. Explaining the “why” will go a long way in empowering them to make healthy choices when they are on their own.
Jen Arricale is a frequent contributor and TV guest Lifestyle Fitness Chef and author of Healthy Recipes for a Busy Life: Easy to Prepare, Fun to Share!
LisaMetzgar, PhD,she received her BA in Biology from UCSD, is a certified Holistic Health Practitioner, and received her Ph.D. in Holistic Nutrition.
Lisa has taught body mind retreats in San Diego, Seattle, and Australia and currently has a practice in Reno, NV where she does nutrition counseling.Lisa's passion is to educate families about a healthy lifestyle.
Latest posts by Lisa Metzgar (see all)
- 7 Fast Meal Ideas for Getting Kids to Eat Healthy When You Have No time - December 16, 2018
- How Not Overeat This Holiday Season - November 20, 2018
- Healthy Chestnuts Easily Used in a Variety Of Different Recipes - November 18, 2018