A Retro Hallway
By Sonya Weiss – Interior Design –
When it comes to decorating, often the most neglected area of the home is the hallway.
– Many people hang family photos or place a simple piece of artwork on the wall and then forget about it, thinking that the hallway is too narrow, or not knowing how to decorate it.
– A hallway is a great opportunity to create a pop of color or to give the illusion that the space is larger than it really is. If you have stairs in your hallway leading to another level, it can be easy to overlook this decorating goldmine. Forget the bland white or the dark wood. Stairs in the hallway can be painted a bright color or they can be painted with a decorative runner in the middle of each step.
– To create a stunning hallway, start by painting the walls a bright color such as Salmon. Since hallways are high traffic, paint using a brand that stands up to abrasion. Paint each of the door frames leading from the hallway a pale shade of gray. Paint the ceiling bright white and frame it with layered crown molding that you’ve painted dark gray. Remember to always paint crown molding before attaching it.
Add a long runner rug with colors of salmon, gray, gray blue and small splashes of magenta. On one wall, add a large retro print. Old advertising signs featuring people look great and are filled with color. Those vintage Coca-Cola advertising signs or vintage movie posters pop with color. You can get reprints of Casablanca, or Marlene Dietrich that won’t cost a lot. On the opposite wall, hang a retro mirror.
Pottery Barn has a peace symbol mirror that would look great in a retro hallway but Amazon also has a nice variety of starburst mirrors that would work well too.
From the time she was a child, Sonya spun stories to entertain herself and her siblings. Once she graduated from high school, she put her writing aside and attended college where she studied Secondary Education, majoring in English. She's represented by literary agent Nicole Resciniti.
Sonya's website can be found at https://sonyaweiss.com/
See More of Sonya's Interior Decorating Columns.
Home Decorating Resources:
Hiring an Interior Designer
Latest posts by Sonya Weiss (see all)
- Decorating for Summertime - June 30, 2018
- Holiday Table or Mantle Decoration Easy as 1- 2 – 3 - November 26, 2017
- Dressing Your Table – Decorating Ideas - February 1, 2017