Mocha Almond Crunch
Easy Snacks for Fall TV-Watching
Now that fall is here, it’s that time of year when cozying up on the couch for a football game, season premiere or movie marathon becomes a common occurrence. And, with lots of television-watching typically comes lots of yummy snacking.
It’s easy to go overboard with snacking, however, especially when you are distracted by a screen, so try these healthier snacking options the next time you have a viewing party or get-together:
Many party dips are made from sour cream, cream cheese and mayonnaise, making them extremely high in calories and fat content. Guacamole, on the other hand, is high in the good fats your body needs to function properly, so it is much healthier than the usual creamy, cheesy dips. Eat it with pita chips or tortilla chips for a lighter snack.
Veggies and Hummus
Hummus is made out of chickpeas, and like guacamole, it is much lower in calories and fat than most other dips. It is an excellent source of protein and can even provide you with a good serving of vegetables, depending on how much you consume. Hummus comes in a variety of flavors and tastes delicious with toasted pita or vegetable sticks.
Of all the snacks that come out of a bag, popcorn is typically your healthiest option by a long shot. Unlike potato chips, which tend to be very high in fat, popcorn is a great source of protein and fiber that is low in calories while still being yummy. Try popping your popcorn on the stove or in the microwave, or buy already popped popcorn for a flavored snack that is ready to eat at any time.
This recipe for Mocha Almond Crunch is the perfect popcorn snack for a movie night or watching the game, and it can easily be added to your collection of holiday popcorn recipes when December rolls around. It uses buttered popcorn, hot cocoa mix and coffee crystals, making it the perfect cozy couch snack.
· 1 2.9oz bag (11 cups popped) Gourmet® Butter Microwave Popcorn
· 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
· 1 1oz Swiss Miss® Chocolate Hot Cocoa Mix
· 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
· 2 tablespoons hot water
· 1 cup granulated sugar
· 1/4 cup light corn syrup
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 300° F. Spray a 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray.
2. Prepare popcorn according to package directions. Remove all unpopped kernels. Place popped corn and almonds in the bottom of the prepared pan.
3. Combine cocoa mix, coffee crystals and hot water in a medium saucepan; stir until crystals are dissolved. Add sugar, Fleischmann’s, corn syrup and salt; place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Immediately pour over popcorn mixture, tossing gently to evenly coat.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Remove from oven and stir again. Spread onto wax paper to cool thoroughly. Store in a tightly sealed container and enjoy!
Latest posts by Families Online Magazine (see all)
- Happy Father’s Day Homemade Gifts, Poems and Quotes - May 13, 2018
- Auntie’s Chorizo and Sweet Potato Enchiladas - May 3, 2018
- Happy Mother’s Day Poems and Crafts - April 25, 2018