Best Snacks for Your Memorial Day Road Trip
If your family is one of the 41 million Americans taking a road trip this Memorial Day to kick off the summer travel season, take along these healthy snacks.
Pro Sports Dietician Leslie Bonci, who creates meal plans to maximize performance for pro-athletic teams and ballet dancers, provided her best snack tips to help fuel positive moods, so families will enjoy their time together and make great memories this summer.
Healthy Snacks for Road Trip
- Pack portable snacks that are salty and savory not just sweet. Consider PBJ wraps or sandwiches; hummus wraps; energy bites –trail mix, snacks from made from cereal, nuts, nut butter, honey; dried fruit; roasted beans; fresh fruit; jerky; fruit/vegetable bars; veggie chips: beets, carrots, spinach; hummus/pita chips; nuts; and seeds (sunflower, pumpkin).
- For a complete meal or snack, pack items in portable containers where you only need to add water. Try oatmeal packets and consider adding peanut powder, dried fruit, spices and even nonfat dry milk powder.
- To ensure the right amount protein and produce, consider packing wraps, bowls or kebabs of turkey, tuna, tofu, hummus, ham, chicken and instead of veggies within, veggies on the side; bean salad; edamame; pasta salad with vegetables; marinated veggies; fruit salad; raw veggies with guacamole or hummus dip; chopped salad; and roasted vegetables.
- Try flavor packets for protein to help meet a variety of taste buds. There are many options to try, but Bonci prefers Caesar, BBQ, Teriyaki, Mexican, Jerk, Lemon herb, or honey mustard.
Leslie Bonci is a nutrition consultant and sports dietician for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, Kansas City Chiefs, Toronto Blue Jays and Carnegie Mellon University.
Latest posts by Families Online Magazine (see all)
- High Cholesterol Maybe You Are Allergic to Red Meat? - June 15, 2018
- 7 Activities For Fathers And Teen Daughters To Connect And Bond - June 10, 2018
- June 14 is Bath Day! - June 1, 2018