Sparklers #1 Cause of Fireworks Injuries
Last year there were 2,900 fireworks injuries treated in emergency rooms across the country. Sparklers were the number one cause of injuries, accounting for 14 percent of the estimated injuries.
Stay Safe while Celebrating the July 4th:
- Make sure consumer fireworks are legal in your area, before buying or using them.
- Never use or make professional-grade fireworks.
- Do not buy or use fireworks that are packaged in brown paper; this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and are not for consumer use.
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks, including sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit. This is hot enough to melt some metals.
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Move to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person or occupied area.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then move away from them quickly.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy, in case of fire or other mishap.
- Never try to relight or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Soak them with water and throw them away.
- After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding the device to prevent a trash fire.
source: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Latest posts by Families Online Magazine (see all)
- Do you know someone who was born in 2013 heading to kindergarten? - July 13, 2018
- New Teen Driver? Best for Parents to Ride Along - July 10, 2018
- 5 Quick Ways to Organize Your Garage - July 6, 2018