Spring Family Fun
The trees are turning green, my forsythia is bloomin’ yellow, my saucer magnolia tree is covered with large pink flowers and my small orchard is showing its colors. It’s not too cold, not yet too hot, so this is the time to get rid of the winter doldrums and have some fun with your children (of all ages!).
I have never been an artsy-crafty person yet recently I went to my local craft store and bought the loom, loops and little kit to make hot pads! Can you believe it? I did that as a child and actually made quite a bit of money going door to door (with my mother following in the car!) selling my beautiful wares. Pretty good income for a ten-year-old. I can’t believe I want to do that again, but I do! Well, not actually sell them, but make pretty ones for my mother and friends selecting colors that would complement their kitchens.
It’s what I call “mindless activity” that can be so relaxing. I know this feeling is because of Spring! I’m like all the birds I see starting to build their nests and I have to make something as well!
What are some fun things you can do in the Spring with your children? Some suggestions (all things I did frequently as a kid with my mother and father):
- Have a picnic
2. Fly a kite
3. Ride bikes
4. Make stilts and learn to walk on them
5. Plant a little vegetable or flower garden
6. Make a birdhouse from on-line directions
7. Take the dog for a walk
8. Press flowers (I bet Martha Stewart can tell you how)
9. Learn to play dominoes’it’s good for math skills
10. Eat outside on your porch or patio,breathe in the spring.
Have a FUN SPRING!
Copyright © 2018, Sharon Scott. No reproduction without written permission from author.
P.S. Please see my other column, “Counselor’s Corner” on the effects of technology on our brains.
Latest posts by Families Online Magazine (see all)
- Homemade S’mores Ice Cream –National S’mores Day August 10 - August 1, 2018
- 5 Ways To Celebrate Grandparents Day In Style - August 1, 2018
- Omega-3 May Also Protect Against Hearing Loss - August 1, 2018