Stroke Deficits Can Be Prevented
By Anthony G. Alessi, MD – Healthy Rounds
Statistics indicate that approximately three quarters of a million Americans will experience a stroke this year and a third of these will be recurrent. Stroke is the third leading cause of death in the United States.
There are two types of stroke, ischemic and hemorrhagic. A hemorrhagic stroke is the result of leakage from a blood vessel in the brain. An ischemic stroke is caused when a blood vessel in the brain is clogged and a portion of the brain is deprived of oxygen.
The most effective treatment of any medical condition is prevention. Risk factors for stroke are similar to those seen in other vascular conditions. Some common risk factors include obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, smoking and a sedentary life style. Any effort toward controlling these elements has tremendous impact on overall health and longevity.
Early recognition of a stroke is imperative. New medications dubbed “clot busters” can stop a stroke as it is evolving if given within 4 1/2 hours after the onset of symptoms.
The eponym used to remember the critical signs of stroke are “FAST”:
1. Face- A person should be able to smile with equal strength on both sides of the face.
2. Arms- When stretching both arms forward with eyes closed for ten seconds the arms should remain equally elevated.
3. Speech- Repetition of a common phrase like, “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks,” should be clear without slurring.
4. Time- The sooner these signs are recognized and treatment initiated, the better the chances are for complete recovery. For every hour without treatment during a stroke the brain ages 3.6 years.
A basic understanding of stroke and a “FAST” response can be life saving.
He is the author of the critically acclaimed book Brain Drain, which helps explain and fix self-sabotage. It is the winner of the 2011 Independent Publisher's Award and 2011 Eric Hoffer Award as the best Self-Help and Health book, 2010 Pinnacle Book Award for best Self-Help Book, and 2009 LA Book Festival Best Spirituality Book.
To new subscribers on his website, he is now offering his free, new EBook, Destiny Diet. Weekly, Dr. Glassman hosts Medicine on the Cutting Edge, which gives a voice to pioneers in medical research and development. Dr. Glassman lives with his family in Rockland County, NY.
Latest posts by Dr. Charles Glassman (see all)
- Early Introduction of Peanut Butter Reduces Peanut Allergies - September 7, 2017
- Is your Doctor prescribing drugs due to promotions? - May 7, 2017
- Attraction, Physical Intimacy, and True Love - January 31, 2017