Suicide Prevention Week – Learn the Signs of Suicide
National Suicide Prevention Week is September 10 – 16, 2017, beginning with World Suicide Prevention Day on the 10th.
During this day and week, individuals and organizations alike will be drawing attention to the problem of suicide and advocating the prevention of this terrible tragedy.
National Health Problem
Suicide is a national health problem that is also one of the leading causes of preventable death in the United States:
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for our youth ages 10-24.
- Among high school students in the past 12 months, 17.7 percent have seriously considered suicide, 14.6 percent have formulated a plan for how they would take their own lives, and 8.6 percent have attempted suicide.
- Each day in our nation, there are an average of over 3,470 suicide attempts by young people in grades 9-12.
- The suicide rate of youth ages 10 – 14 has more than doubled since 2007.
- Four out of Five teens who attempt suicide have given clear warning signs.
Learn the Signs of Suicide
- Threatening to hurt or kill oneself or talking about wanting to hurt or kill oneself
- Looking for ways to kill oneself by seeking access to firearms, available pills, or other means
- Talking or writing about death, dying, or suicide when these actions are out of the ordinary for the person
- Feeling hopeless
- Feeling rage or uncontrolled anger or seeking revenge
- Acting reckless or engaging in risky activities – seemingly without thinking
- Feeling trapped – like there’s no way out
- Increasing alcohol or drug use
- Withdrawing from friends, family, and society
- Feeling anxious, agitated, or unable to sleep or sleeping all the time
- Experiencing dramatic mood changes
- Seeing no reason for living or having no sense of purpose in life
Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Latest posts by Families Online Magazine (see all)
- Want to Loose Weight? Turn off the TV and Lights at Night - June 10, 2019
- Spring Frugal Fashionista Tips - May 26, 2019
- 9th Annual ‘Kids To Parks Day’ Saturday, May 18, 2019 - May 13, 2019