Fun Turkey Day Facts
Fun Turkey Day Facts
- The ballroom dance the “turkey trot” was named for the short, jerky steps that turkeys take.
- Wild turkeys were almost wiped out in the early 1900’s. Today, wild turkeys can be found in every state except Alaska.
- For their first meal on the moon, astronauts Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin ate roast turkey in foil packets.
- The costume that “Big Bird” wears on Sesame Street is rumored to be made of turkey feathers.
- The male turkey is called a tom and they gobble. The female turkey is called a hen and they only make a clicking noise.
- Turkeys actually have heart attacks. When the Air Force was conducting test runs and breaking the sound barrier, fields of turkeys died.
- Turkeys can drown if they look up when it is raining.
- A spooked turkey can run at speeds up to 20 miles per hour. They can also burst into flight approaching speeds between 50-55 mph in a matter of seconds.
- Turkeys spend the night in trees. They fly to their roosts around sunset.
- About 280 million turkeys are sold for Thanksgiving celebrations.
- The bare skin on the throat and head of a turkey can change color from flat gray to striking shades of red, white, and blue when the bird becomes distressed or excited.
- The heaviest turkey ever raised was 86 pounds, about the size of a large dog.
- The turkey is one of the most famous birds in North America. In fact, Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the wild turkey, not the Bald Eagle, the national bird of the United States!
https://www.familiesonlinemagazine.com/turkeydayfacts/https://www.familiesonlinemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/craftturkey.gifhttps://www.familiesonlinemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/craftturkey-150x150.gifThanksgivingHumor – Jokes – Funny Stuff,ThanksgivingFun Turkey Day FactsThe ballroom dance the 'turkey trot' was named for the short, jerky steps that turkeys take.Wild turkeys were almost wiped out in the early 1900's. Today, wild turkeys can be found in every state except Alaska.For their first meal on the moon, astronauts...Families Online MagazineFamilies Online Magazine Staff Writer[email protected]AdministratorFamilies Online Magazine
Our experts provide warm, loving, and generous advice for parents, your family and children, no matter their age -- infants, school age, 'tweens, and teenagers. Features include:Parenting, Ages and Stages of Child Development, Child Support, Cooking, Health, Children's Books, Nutrition, Christian Parenting, Relationships, Green-living, Education and School
Latest posts by Families Online Magazine (see all)
- Easy Ways to Teach Kids Decision Making - May 20, 2018
- How to Make the Most of Parent Teacher Conferences - May 19, 2018
- Is Spanking An Acceptable Form of Discipline? - May 16, 2018